Each month, consumers conduct tens of billions of searches on search engines like Google, Yahoo! and Bing—making search strategy a must for every marketer. So if we think of search engine optimization as a marathon, then pay per click is a sprint—and both are important to winning the search engine marketing race.
What Exactly Is SEM?
Search engine marketing is focused on improving a brand’s visibility on search engines, through tools like:
- Search engine optimization for organic search results
- Pay-per-click management for sponsored results
- Local search engine marketing
- Social advertising, such as on Facebook and Twitter
How Is An SEM Campaign Built?
Key to all marketing, particularly digital marketing, is focusing on the user. Whereas some search engine marketing agencies may start simply with brand-related keyword research, we pull back a step and explore the target’s overall online behavior, examining:
- What websites do they visit?
- How are they using social media?
- Do they consider themselves brand advocates?
- What brand, category and lifestyle terms are they searching online?
- What is their purchase process, and what stages integrate mobile, social and search?
That understanding allows us to craft an SEM strategy with a mix of paid and organic efforts that are relevant to your target consumer and provide efficient ROI.
SEM is not a “set it and forget it” channel—real success comes from regular analysis against pre-set, measurable benchmarks and making adjustments based on real-time data.
This nimble approach to SEO and PPC campaign management can come only from closely-aligned, collaborative teamwork and real-time optimization.
Contact us to learn more about our approach to SEM.